Brrrr, it’s cold – We want to make sure you are prepared with a few Winter Tips. Preventing your water lines from freezing is essential! Restoring your frozen pipes can be costly; be aware that both plastic and copper pipes can freeze and burst.
Before Winter Arrives
- Insulate pipes in your home’s crawl space and attic. Exposed pipes in these areas are more susceptible to freezing.
- Close any openings with insulation or caulk that allow cold air to come in contact with the pipes. You can find air leaks particularly where there are vents, electric wiring and pipes.
- Disconnect any garden hoses. If possible, shut off and drain water from pipes leading to outside faucets.
Leaving Your House Over Winter
- Set your home’s thermostat no lower than 55 F.
- Have someone check on your house regularly to make sure everything is in order.
- Shut off and drain the water system in your house, and turn off your water heater.
For more winter tips click here.